Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Halfway Point

So here I am at the halfway point of creating a life. This is an accomplishment I celebrate because as excited as I am for little Peanut to join us in this big world, pregnancy has not been the funest thing ever. I am trying to focus on the good things, the little successes but I'm not afraid to admit that it's been a bit overwhelming and there has been more puke involved than I would have liked. But whatever.

Patrick finally finished touching up the nursery--I think. Thanks to pressure from Mom I decided to get the wallpaper border that matches the crib bedding to help accent the wall and keep Patrick from going crazy with all of my other creative ideas. It arrived today and I'm wondering what the chances are that it will get put up this weekend?

I am also trying to put the final necessities into the baby registry--as if I know what I'm doing. I've read all the lists, got some advice from friends, and used my cousin's registery as a cheat-sheat. Thanks, Sum! The registry is, of course, tied to the baby shower which will be on Feb 28th. I was chatting with some women at work today who were schooling me on the Mexican way of doing a baby shower. Apparently it's customary to have the shower at week 36 for purely superstitious reasons. I told them I couldn't wait that long for purely organizational reasons. Also, I'm hoping Peanut decides to come really early.

I will also soon need to start thinking about the second baby shower my mom wants to have in Iowa after Peanut is born, which I guess will be less of a baby shower and more of a baby welcome to the world get together. Or a Peanut introduction gathering of friends and family who live in that part of the country.

Today I schedule Patrick and I to take all of these classes--a childbirth prep class, a baby care class, and a breastfeeding class. I feel that my friends and family have way more faith in me than they should about my ability to know what the hell I'm doing once Peanut is safely on the outside and I feel these classes will play no small part it the health and well-being of Peanut for the first few weeks of his life. I am also hoping the classes will calm some of my fears and such. There's a good chance, though, I'll leave having more things to be scared about.

No comments: